Oakleaf lettuce is one of the few lettuce varieties that is heat tolerant and can grow in Singapore's climate. Grow in partial shade during the very hot months. This variety produces red leaves with a green interior.
Growing Oakleaf Lettuce
- Sow seeds directly in your garden patch or in seedling starters.
- If sowing directly in your garden patch, create a row and sow seeds about 0.5cm deep. Cover with a thin layer of soil.
- Use well-draining soil for growing - a good potting soil mixed with sand is a good start.
- Germination takes 3-5 days. Thin extra seedlings once plant starts to grow as overcrowding can lead to root rot.
- Fertilise with organic fertiliser like vermicompost or meal bone after seedling stage to promote growth.
- Harvest after 40-60 days. Young lettuce leaves has a milder, softer taste compared to matured lettuce.
- To harvest, use a knife or pair of scissors and cut the leaves about 2 inches above the soil. You should get another 2-3 harvests.
Seed Type: Non-GMO, non-treated
Always place your unused seeds in an air tight container and store in a cool, dry place like the chiller section of your refrigerator.
Delivery is free via private courier service for all orders above S$60. For orders below S$60, a standard delivery fee of S$5 will apply. Please allow 2-3 working days for delivery.