If you are growing edibles in your indoor or outdoor garden, be careful what kind of pesticide control product you use. By using chemical pesticides in your garden, you are intentionally releasing cancer-producing and toxic substances into our environment. In this article, I share an organic, home-made pesticide control recipe you can create using natural products that are easily available and safe to use on your plants.
The recipe below is good for plant pests like aphids, white flies, millipedes, centipedes.
Formula for 1 litre of solution.
- 1 litre warm water
- 10 drops clove oil/solution (see below how to make clove oil if you don't have this)
- 10 drops pure neem oil
- 10 drops of X-Brand eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops of dish washing liquid soap
How to make clove oil/solution
- Take 1 tablespoon of roughly pounded cloves and soak in a small cup of warm water for 1-2 hours. Use a sieve to remove the pounded cloves. The liquid is your solution.
- Mix all ingredients above and pour into a clean spray bottle
- Use as necessary
Remember to do a patch test on a leaf or branch before applying to the entire plant. If your leaf starts to burn or wilt, you might have to reduce the concentrate.
Spray evenly on the underside of the leaf, the flower buds and on new shoots.
Do not apply in bright sunlight hours. It is best to apply in the evening, after sunset.